Getting ready to make a move and wondering about your new city's crime rates? Or perhaps you are just concerned with the crime rates of your current city, and wondering where it ranks against other cities in the United States. Well, according to the latest research findings, the top 10 cities with the highest crime, in order, are:
1. Flint, Michigan: Due to the fact that the city has about 64 murders per 100,000 people, their murder rate is the highest in the country. Also, the city is one of the poorest in the state, and it is plagued by gun and illegal drug problems.
2. Detroit does not fall far behind. In fact, they had almost 55 murders per 100,000 citizens (the highest among the country's most populated cities). They also face poverty, drug crimes and gang violence.
3. The next of the top 10 cities with the highest crime, New Orleans. New Orleans has actually dropped in the rankings, down to number 3. They had 53 murders per 100,000 residents, and they struggle with drug crimes and gang problems.
4. Next is St. Louis, Missouri. The Lou has nearly 36 murders per 100,000 citizens.
5. Baltimore is fifth, as their murder rates went up by 10% over the last year, 35 murders per 100,000 people. They are consistently a deadly city, with a great deal of gang and drug violence.
6. Birmingham, Alabama is next on the list. They have almost 34 murders per 100,000 citizens and a very high overall crime rate, which is down to the high poverty of the city.
7. Newark, New Jersey always finds its way onto this list, and this past year they had 33 murders per 100,000 people. The number of homicides in their city continues to rise on an annual basis. And actually tied with Newark, Oakland also has 33 murders per 100,000 citizens.
8. Baton Rouge is number eight. With a 5% increase over the last year, they report 29 murders per 100,000 citizens.
9. Cleveland is next, with nearly 25 murders per 100,000 residents. One side note about Cleveland is that over 33% of its residents live below the poverty line. In an average city that number is around 14%.
10. And finally, Memphis, Tennessee rounds out the top 10 cities with the highest crime, with 24 murders per 100,000 people. In fact, Memphis's murder rate has been climbing for three years.
Click Here To Speak With Your Local Criminal Attorney.